Saturday, May 17, 2014

Seven.


Want to know a crazy thought?

In exactly seven days I will be (God-willing!) in a  plane flying over the Atlantic Ocean.

I can't believe it ... this is actually happening!

As far as I know, all the documents, immunizations/medications, and finances have been received!  The only thing standing between me and this adventure is 7 days, packing and several Walmart runs!

I think it finally started sinking in today when I started packing my clothes.  For the first time, I actually felt fear and doubt.  Like, can I really do this?  I can barely sing ... much less teach others!  BUT - I know that God has pushed me towards this trip for a reason, and I need to TRUST that He knows what He is doing! :)

So that is where I am at right now, and now I thought it'd be nice to share a couple of general facts about India to give you a very broad idea of where I'm headed!

A common question I get is about the language barrier.  Being so diverse, India actually has 22 national languages.  While the majority speak Hindi, English is taught in schools and is used in national/political/commercial administrations.  Although there may be more difficulties with the youngest kids, I should be able to communicate with the students.  While teaching, there will always be someone with me to translate :)

The majority of Indians are also devoutly religious - with approximately 81% identifying with Hinduism, 13%  with Islam, and 2% with Christianity.

Even though India is slightly more than 1/3 the size of the United States, it's population is almost 4x the amount of the United States.  India is also ten hours ahead of Eastern time.

Prayer Requests:

  • That I would be able to trust God and daily surrender to him, so that he will be able to work fully through me!
  •  That I would be sensitive to God's voice as continue to plan out my "lessons" and musical experiences*
  • That the rest of the team's preparations would go smoothly.
Thanks so much for all of your overwhelming and humbling support!
Amanda 

*Music Therapy lingo for activities with a purpose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment